Adult orthodontics can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted. Let’s look at adult orthodontic types and how orthodontic treatment can benefit you, no matter your age.
What are Orthodontics for Adults?
Orthodontic treatment, once reserved for adolescents and young adults, is more widespread than ever among adults who are eager to finally get their best possible smile. In fact, 1 in 5 patients receiving orthodontic care is over the age of 18, according to the American Association of Orthodontists.
While many factors go into play when deciding if orthodontic options are right for you, age is generally not a determinant in the successful outcome of orthodontic treatment. Let’s look at the types of orthodontic treatments available at Texas Choice Dental in Humble and the benefits of orthodontia.
Adult Orthodontic Options
Orthodontic treatment has evolved by leaps and bounds in the past decade or so. There are more straightening options for adults seeking orthodontia than ever before. Some to consider:
- Traditional orthodontics. Conventional metal braces are a textbook solution to many of the orthodontic issues you may be experiencing as an adult. Many times, this orthodontia is a covered treatment with dental insurance policies. This orthodontic treatment features metal brackets with wires and elastic-type bands that help to gradually move teeth where they need to go.
- Self-ligating orthodontics. Instead of the elastic bands used in traditional metal braces, self-ligating braces feature a sliding device that holds the wire and is adjusted by the orthodontist as needed.
- Lingual orthodontics. Similar to regular metal braces, lingual orthodontics differs in one major way: The brackets of these orthodontics are attached to the rear of the teeth to make them less visible.
- Clear aligner-type orthodontics. ClearCorrect and Invisalign are popular among adults. These braces feature a series of custom-made aligners that gradually move the teeth into the right place. They’re clear to make them more attractive than metal adult braces.
When comparing orthodontic options in Humble, it’s important to remember that traditional braces solve the greatest number of orthodontic problems. However, clear aligners may be less irritating to the gums and cheeks and are removable, so you can take them out when you eat. Treatment with aligners usually lasts from 6 to 18 months, while traditional metal braces may require 18 months to three years of treatment.
Reasons to Consider Adult Orthodontics
Adult orthodontics at Texas Choice Dental has grown in popularity in recent years for many reasons. Among them are the following benefits of orthodontic treatment for adults:
- Improved looks and enhanced self-esteem. Enhancing your smile also boosts your appearance, transforming how the world sees you and how you feel about yourself. Improved self-esteem and confidence are two by-products of enhancing your smile with adult orthodontia.
- Improved health. Gums can easily become inflamed and red when there’s too much space between your teeth. By contrast, crowded teeth or crooked teeth can be hard to brush properly, which leads to the buildup of plaque and deterioration and decay of your teeth. Orthodontic treatment helps reduce the health risks that come along with poor oral health.
- Resolution to shifting teeth. For adults whose teeth have moved over time or who have crowded or overlapping teeth, adult orthodontics can help improve shifting.
- Correct problems with your bite. If you have problems with your jaw, such as an underbite or overbite that results in improper swallowing or chewing, orthodontics may solve jaw issues and help you live a better quality of life.
Our team will work with you to determine which, if any, adult orthodontic treatment is right for you.
Ready to Learn More About Adult Orthodontics?
If you are considering straightening your teeth as an adult, contact Texas Choice Dental today to learn more about Adult Orthodontics and see how these treatments can help you.